6.22.2010

paper and fabric and wood...OH MY!



I tried out wood burning over the weekend- 50% off coupon at Joanns and a $30 "Versa Tool" creative wood burner= a new hobby for $15. Well- then must acquire wood- but you can buy little pieces for super cheap. Although I am going to have my dad send me some slices of wood from back home. I purchased my dad a wood burner from Amazon for Father's Day because he has been a huge wood crafter lately. Apparently spending hours out in his shop using one of his (yes he has multiple) wood lathes crafting up all kinds of awesomeness.



He made this for me upon my request- an oak log candle holder :)

(oh and he actually said this to me "I know you are all Los Angeles..Respect Your Mother...blah blah so I made this from an oak tree that fell during hurricane Ike. HA! my dad is so Texas- but he tries to understand)

This is just a hobby of his, he is a full time business owner of a water well drilling company back home in Texas but I think he has potential to make this wood lathing a profitable hobby. He actually drove out for a "visit" to California last summer- but really for the sole purpose of buying another wood lathe from someone out here, visiting his daughter was just an added bonus. Haha.

My crafting has gotten out of control and if I thought I had a medium problem in my last entry I suppose it has only increased, I'm just learning to roll with it. Lately it's been paper crafting (cutting):



 that I just started experimenting with weekend before last, a little fabric fusing:



(thanks to Sister Diane over at CraftyPod for this fun idea!)


and now wood crafting (burning):







My first official wood burn I made last night. I'm still figuring out all of the strokes and which tip does what, etc... I think I will watch a few videos on the internet to learn some real techniques.







 Ahhh. Lots of fun. I can't wait to start making jewelry and all kinds of things with the wood. I have been wanting to do that for a while now- with just painting in mind, but now- combining that with burning is twice as exciting!








Cheers,

Julie

3 comments:

  1. I adore your little woodburned bird - this is really making me want to try it myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks so much! You REALLY should. It is a lot of fun and it makes a wonderful camp fire smell ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I want to add a bit of color to my woodburnings, I'll either use watercolors or oil pencils. If you use watercolors you can get a gorgeous effect, while still being subtle. Just make sure you either burn deep enough lines or use an X-acto to separate the spots you want colored from the ones you don't. Watercolors don't discriminate.

    The oil pencils will also give a very cool effect, with more vivid colors. You can either leave the pencil untouched and spray on a layer of a sealant, or you can put on a low heat and burn quickly over your pencil to sort of melt them into the wood. This option makes the color seem a more natural part of the wood, whereas not heating your colors will make them pop more.

    ReplyDelete

Comments = Colloquy = Yes please :)