4.22.2010

"Erf" Day 2010

Well good evening fellow earthlings. Hope you all did something nice and earthy today. The weather was pretty terrible here in Los Angeles today but I managed to dedicate about and hour or so enjoying and feeling grateful for our great Mother, Earth.

While I was at work Miles and I (who is responsible for the "Erf" in this blog title) finished some miniature painted earths we started yesterday then cut them out and went around his house taping them next to every light switch and some of the water faucets as a reminder to conserve energy. He was totally into it which is really cool. He is a neat kid like that. (He is 3)



And, we also painted some leaves and rocks....



I also read Miles one of my favorite books from childhood. It had a profound effect on me and my relationship with the planet. I'm so thankful for my mom for discovering this book and sharing it with my siblings and I. The book I'm refering to is Just a Dream by Chris Van Allsburg. 

                              

I'm sure many of you have heard of this book and might share similiar sentiments about it as I. I just can't say enough about its awesomeness. At some point last year I started thinking about volunteering at local schools, reading it to the children to educate them about protecting the planet. I still think this is a good idea. I should do it! I ordered this particular copy last year from Amazon and I love the inscription I found inside.





The imagery in the book is amazing. I think it is why it had such an impact on me at a young age. It came out in 1990 so I guess I was about 7 or 8 when I first read it. 

                                          


After leaving work I drove over to Griffith Park, ordered a soy latte and the most amazing lavender vanilla shortbread cookies from the Trails cafe down at the bottom and then drove up to the top where the observatory is, the view up there is amazing. It was raining lightly but I didn't mind. I was feeling very connected to the earth and the universe. I love that feeling. I didn't have my camera with me so I don't have any pictures of this. Well I had my iphone camera but it just really doesn't do it justice.

Then I made my way over to Home Depot to and picked up some supplies for a little container window sill garden. I'm SO excited to get that set up this weekend. Hopefully the weather will warm up in the next few days. Gosh I can't believe myself, I'm such a Californian these days. Go away rainy coldness, I need me some sunshine ;)

Then I picked up my husband and we can came home and ordered Thai food. Haha.

I'm SO cold right now, our new place actually has gas heating vents throughout which we used a few times when we first moved in so I know they DID work, however I noticed yesterday evening that it stopped working and I have a sneaking suspicion that the hook up of the gas dryer last week has interfered with the heater!! Ahhhh. Need to call the plumber that set it all up and see if he can make it work again, because I have no idea where my space heater is. It gets mighty cold up here on this hill with all of these windows and hardwood floors. Eeeeee.

Anyway. OH yeah, this morning I found some papers in my Just a Dream book that I had stashed in there, I'm thinking like last March or April and one of them contained sketches and ideas for what eventually became Respect Your Mother. Its so cool, I'm so glad I found it. It gives me new inspiration plus makes me feel proud that I did move forward and create an online shop to sell my things and reminded me of ideas that I never materialized before and would like to do so now. Here is a photo of the paper ;)


                                    

I'm a serious list maker and am always jotting down words, lists, ideas, sketches on random paper and I love finding them later, its like a little mini journal of your life that you can look back on think wow, so thats what was going on in my world at that particular time. I usually become nostalgic. This group of papers contained a to do list in preparation of my mother's visit out here last spring. We had such a good time. She helped me create my outdoor garden at the old place. So much fun!

Annnd I will hush now. Happy Earth Day!




8 comments:

  1. Thank you for providing yet another venue for me to make fun of you! Could you at least make a small effort to paint your earths with SOME geographic accuracy!!

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, dear sibling, if you read correctly I DID mention a 3 year old helped me paint them. But I really don't think its too far off. It is a flat piece of paper, I can't exactly incorporate all of the continents. Der!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved these story. You have very smart little boy, I wish all parents were so involved in teaching their kids the Earth care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, this is SO weird, I was just looking at YOUR blog and then came to check mine and saw this comment from you. I love things like that. Fateful encounters! I was completely admiring your circular polymer pendants. Those are so awesome. Great work!! I found you via craftgawker which I am assuming is how you came upon my blog as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, p.s. the boy isn't mine, I'm just his nanny, but thank you so much ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I did came from there, great source. And thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This idea to put the little globes next to switches is so clever. I'm going to do it with my two little boys. The fact that they are colouring it will make them take more notice than just sticking a printed picture up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks! yeah its definitely project worth doing a) keeps them busy for a while (I let him do some of the painting with his fingers instead of the brush) and b) it makes them aware of conservation.

    ReplyDelete

Comments = Colloquy = Yes please :)